Our member, Chamber of Marine Commerce, has shared with us their insights on the safe, efficient and environmentally smart use of […]
338 Conversations on Workplace Mental Health
you know that half a million Canadians miss work each week due to a mental
health related illness? Workplace mental health is a universal concern, which
is why we partnered with the Mental Health Commission of Canada to launch 338
338 Conversations is a call to action for all 338 members of Parliament to join forces with local chambers of commerce to promote workplace mental health and encourage the business community to take the steps needed to ensure the mental well-being of their workers.
Businesses have the ability to help shape a healthier and more competitive Canada, but in order to move forward, we must acknowledge that mental health plays an important role in our ability to achieve economic success. This is one of many reasons why we are in the process of adopting the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace, and we encourage you to do the same!
Here are a few simple ways we are creating a mentally healthy workplace:
- Our office is secured and features natural lighting, a wellness room and quiet spaces.
- We have enrolled in an employee and family assistance program.
- We have developed a psychological health and safety policy.
- All of our employees have completed mental health certification and training.
- We provide staff with flexible hours and the ability to work remotely when needed.
Canadians deserve to feel happy, comfortable and understood in their place of employment. It is up the business community to take the important steps needed to help end the stigma around mental illness.
To learn more about how you can promote mental health and prevent psychological harm in your workplace, click here.