With Small Business Week coming to an end, we are proud to have celebrated the SMEs that are the heart of our economy and whose success is essential to Canada’s growth.
Here are 5 ways SMEs are contributing towards a more competitive and prosperous Canada for all:
- Small businesses are job creators. SMEs provide work for 9 out of every 10 Canadians in the private sector.
- There are more than 1.3 million small businesses in Canada. Their success results in more money in municipal taxes, which helps improve local communities.
- 99% of all Canadian businesses are a SME, contributing over a third of Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP).
- There are over 829,000 entrepreneurs in Canada who run small businesses, fuelling Canada’s economic innovation and prosperity.
- Small businesses do not always stay small. Growing SMEs into larger companies helps Canada remain competitive in global markets.
In the spirit of Small Business Week, we ran our #iheartsmallbiz campaign on social media to recognize some of the extraordinary small businesses that are making a big impact in communities across Canada and in the everyday lives of their customers. We encourage you to look up the hashtag #iheartsmallbiz on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn to see how Canada celebrated Small Business Week.