June 1, 2017 | Westin Ottawa Hotel | Ottawa, ON
It is becoming increasingly difficult for cities to provide their residents with the level of public safety they require while maintaining control of their budgets. Our conference, New Era of Public Safety and Security: Innovating the Service Delivery Model, took an in-depth look at how public-private partnerships between police forces and private security services can be successfully implemented across Canada.
Industry leaders and security experts have provided valuable insights into the potential public-private partnerships have to create a safer, more secure Canada. In addition, speakers have examined the associated risks and how to mitigate them, studying how similar partnerships have been introduced in other Western countries.
Industry can be part of the solution as a reliable complementary partner to public sector police and security services. This conference explored how.
Ryan Greer and Christian Paradis recap the success of our conference.
Blair Gibbs, Former Senior Policy Advisor to the U.K. Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor
Blair Gibbs is a former senior civil servant at the Ministry of Justice in the UK who served as Policy Advisor to the Secretary of State (Rt Hon Michael Gove MP) leading on criminal justice reform (2015-16). Prior to this he was Principal Advisor on policing to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson (2012-15) where he led on policy and strategy. In previous roles he headed the Crime & Justice Unit at the think-tank Policy Exchange (2010-12) and Chief of Staff (2007-10) to the Rt Hon. Nick Herbert MP, former Policing Minister, developing and promoting key police reforms in England.
Fred Kaustinen, Executive Director, Ontario Association of Police Service Boards
Former Canadian Army Officer; governance and security consultant since 2000.
Sir Denis O’Connor, Former Chief Inspector of Constabulary for the U.K.
Previously Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Constabulary, 2008-12, currently lecturer at the Institute of Criminology, Cambridge.
- Christian Leuprecht, Professor of Political Science, Royal Military College of Canada
- Mathieu Bédard, Economist, Montreal Economic Institute
- Katy Bourne, Police and Crime Commissioner, District of Sussex, U.K.
- Chris Sims, Retired Police Chief of West Midlands, U.K.
- Armin Berchtold, CEO, Securitas CH and Secretary General, International Security League
- Tom Statamakis, President, Canadian Police Association
- Senator Jean-Guy Dagenais, Former President of APPQ
- Sandra Pupatello, Strategic Advisor, Industry, Global Markets and Public Sector, PwC Canada
- Frank Bergen, Superintendent, Strategy Management, Toronto Police Service
- Laura Huey, Associate Professor, Sociology, University of Western Ontario and Director, Canadian Society of Evidence Based Policing
- Jacques Duchesneau, Former President of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
- Bill Fordy, Assistant Commissioner, RCMP, Lower Mainland District, British Columbia and Director, Board of Governance, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police
- Sandy Smallwood, Secretary, Canadian Association of Police Governance
- Cal Corley, CEO, Community Safety Knowledge Association
- Christian Paradis, Senior Vice President, Strategic Development, Protective Services, GardaWorld
- Peter Sloly, Executive Director, Deloitte Canada
- Walid Khayate, M.Ing, M.Sc.A, Ing., ABCP, Vice President and Senior Consultant, Aon Risk Control Services
Thank you to our sponsors